Start of Lent. Fun time of the year. I really do look forward to Easter, and the chance for growth that Lent provides, but to be honest this year, still not sure I am feeling it. I decided to skip the obvious, not giving up chocolate or soda...mainly because Brian told me he would leave me during lent if that happened again (apparently I was not a nice person when I couldn;t have either of my happy "drugs"). I gave up yelling at the kids. Sounds easy enough right, especially since Lucas was challenged to give up speaking (unless in class or tutoring his sister)..Wed morning, 1st day of Lent, trying to get both kids ready for school, I end up blowing a gasket on them both. Apparently neither wanted to go and didn't appreciate my forcing them. They both ended up at school, and I realized later that having a nasty virus and trying not to yell when your professional button pushers are trying to meet their quota is just not a good mix. 

I think during this time, I am going to try and be on here more, blogging more. Partly to pour out my frustrations in the way I know best, by writing. I find writing to be a purifier, a way to cleanse the mind and heart of frustration, pain, struggle, and to share joy, love, peace...and partly to get feedback from other parents on parenting these unique little people. 

Lets start with the crazy girl, 6 1/2 is such a unique age. Sometimes she blows me away with the things she says, making me forget that she is still just in the first grade. She was asked yesterday who her musical influence was, what band does she look up to and why. Keep in mind she is 6. I thought she was going to say One Direction (if you guys are reading this ...she LOVES you and wants you to come to her birthday party in August) or maybe the Beiber (really looking forward to moving past that stage :-) but her "musical influence" was the Beastie Boys. Her daddy was so proud when I told him. While I think some of their lyrics are questionable, they are still better then the Bieber or Miley Cyrus. She also decided to give up screaming for lent. I have to say the first 2 days went okay I look forward to seeing if she can make it the full time of Lent. 

We are having bumps with her at school. You know, the usual, don't want to do her work, don't understand why we can't have mud fights, or jump in puddles. But the bigger bumps, the ones that tend to worry me are the mean girl issues. Really mean kid. She had someone at school make a comment saying she was "fat". Now Lo is not a tiny little thing, but she is not fat. She is a pretty curvy little lady, who one day is going to have curves that make girls jealous. Because she can't wear what all her friends wear (because it would NOT be appropriate to wear tight leggings with a tiny shirt) we are dealing with weight issues that I didn't think would come yet. These are the times I say a quick prayer, and then we talk about appropriate wear for our bodies, fitting us the best, regardless of what it looks like on others. The day the boy told her she was fat, I had a little girl (really she is still just my baby) sobbing in the tub telling me she was fat and humongous and disgusting. It broke my heart. We talked about the fact that she is not fat, that she is beautiful, and that God made her just the way he did because she is perfect as she is, and I think we have moved past the issue this time, but I know it is going to be an ongoing conversation. I have a meeting with the Principle coming up. I told her we need to find a way to address body image with these kiddo's earlier then I ever thought we would. 
 does this really look like she is fat? I think she is just right considering she is 4 ft tall...slow it down girly girl...let me be taller until your at least 10! 

 She totally has her own personal style! 



Now on to the teen.....did I ever tell you that puberty stinks (both figuratively and literally) and teen boys are the worst of the worst. Some of the issues are age appropriate, interest in girls, and not wanting to work at school (okay maybe a little immature, but really pretty appropriate for the 14-17 year boy range.) When you throw his spectrum issues on top, it makes for a struggle. For the first time since I think he was 5, Luc is off all his meds. This is not something we chose lightly, but we needed to see where he was at behaviorally and what if any he still needs. For the most part, his behavior is about the same off as on (well more energy but behaviorally pretty stable). The problems are usually based on his refusal to do any chores or to help around the house. (I realize this is an age issue mostly) but he really needs to pull his head out of his tail and start listening. Apparently I need to work on the delivery of my statements too.

He actually wanted to take this picture, not the norm, but I will always take one when he lets me. Almost 6 ft now..


Okay .. I want feedback. Ask me questions, or tell me how to do it....lets open up some dialog here. 

Comments

Popular Posts