Look in on my crazy life

I have been strongly encouraged to write down the stories, the adventures of having my autistic son. There are times when he is such a joy to parent, and times when I just wring my hands and pray that the day can end...even then it's not always an end to the struggles.

I remember the day we learned we were expecting. We were scared, and worried about how we were going to be parents. We were so young. I was only 22 years old and Brian was only 24. We were still practically babies. Well when you are babies having babies you grow up fast. At the ultrasound we said we would only find out boy/girl if it was clear. Brian pointed to the image on the ultrasound, and asked "is that what I think it is?" Well that little boy was sure he wanted us to know that he was a boy. We raced down to the payphones to call our moms and to gloat that we were having a boy..I think they both wanted a girl. I knew with all that I am that I wanted a boy first. If we had more little monkeys, I would want a daughter but she needed a big brother to beat up the boys and keep her safe.

When he was born, boy was he a pain in the tummy! 4 days of labor and induction lead to a c-section. I was so happy to finally be able to hold my little man. We went home and I had big big dreams for him. I just knew he was going to play football...I mean after, with Brian and I being huge football fans how could our son not play.

At about 18 months, I was watching him and realized we were not making milestones I expected. I know that autism can run in families, and I know I have family members that I have always wondered if they were on the spectrum. I love science and knowing what everything means, and so I was reading up on it, and realized some of the markers we were not making could be issues. Brian and the doctor both told me he was fine...that he was just a hyper little boy. At 5 years old he had a meltdown while I was on the phone with the doctor and that started the path to diagnosis. The cards were starting to fall into place.

There were these quirky little things my little man would do that would gray the hair of anyone who experienced them. When he was about 3 he took apart my VCR for the first time. What happened was, he put a Lincoln Log (those toys are created by a maniacal man I swear) into the VCR. He had done it a couple of times, and knew he was in trouble! So he took it apart. I guess he missed the step where I unplugged it. Did you know that when you touch the power supply of a plugged in VCR it will shock you? All the hair on his body was standing straight up. He never did that again. I found an old computer and let him tear it apart and put it together over and over and over..

There are a million more stories, more to come soon! Keep an eye out!!

Comments

Popular Posts