A reminder to be proud of who I am

Yesterday Logan and I were looking at the photo collage app on my phone and she said she wanted to do one. I said of course...I was interested to see which pictures she would choose of herself to post. She picked one of her, one of me and two of the gifts she gave me for Mother's day this year. She painted me a flower picture frame and wrote me a poem. It was so special opening this present because she knows I love to write poetry and she was so excited to show me the one she wrote by herself. I know the teacher gave her the prompt "Mom Who" and then Logan had to write about me. I am going to share what she wrote:

Mom Who
Mama who is loving, silly and mature
and asks "Did you eat dinner?"
who is Rachel Ray in the kitchen
who is my bobby when I cry
whose morning can't start without seeing her baby girl
is grouchy without her coffee
who tells me I am sill
who is happy when she comes home to see me
whose alfredo sauce tastes like heaven
who makes a delicious pancake breakfast
types on the computer everyday
who is Vincent van Gogh while painting
is never early picking me up
is loud as a dog barking while sleeping
is happy when I get good grades
is the best mom in the world
who goes to work over and over and over again
is confident, frank and happy
asking, "How was school?"
what is the best quality about her, what? Everything! 

I can't even begin to say how my heart shattered, overfilling with love. Calling me her boppy means just how much she loves me (she has had that boppy pillow since she was born, and she refuses to give it up...very much a comfort for her). She was so honest about my being grouchy without coffee, and that I am never early to pick her up. Not sure how I ever got elevated to being Vincent van Gough when painting...my clouds are never happy and I have to have a glass (or bottle) or two of wine when we paint to Bob Ross..but since Van Gough is one of our favorite painters, I will take it gladly. I told her no calling the kettle black when she is just as loud when she sleeps (they told me taking out her tonsils and adenoids would stop the snoring .... lies I tell you lies!!! But what touched me most is that she feels that I am confident, frank and happy. I struggle so much with my body image, and I try to hide it from her. I don't ever want her to see my unhappy with my body. I don't want her to feel she has to worry about what she looks like for people to like her. I wish so much I could keep her in a little bubble of happiness and safety. She already deals with girl drama that I did not expect in elementary school..I don't want her to see it from me too. I let her do selfies with me and snap chat and actually  post it because I want her to be proud of who she is. I might be doing an okay job after all. 

Moms...you have to let go of your own body images so you (and I) can prevent them from becoming the body images of our daughters. They are (to quote Logan when she was about 4) "God's daughters, and since he is our king, they are Princesses and worth more then gold or silver."

 



Comments

Popular Posts